Byrum & Fisk Advocacy Communications
Byrum and Fisk is a full-service strategic communications firm located in Grand Rapids and East Lansing, specializing in media relations, crisis management and campaigns. We have grown to serve over 300 clients across Michigan, the Midwest and the United States over the last decade. We work with clients in clean energy, agriculture, health care, education, real estate, nonprofit and more. We are passionate about protecting our Great Lakes, fighting for kids, supporting strong communities, being a champion for clean energy and driving change.
We are looking for a communications strategist to join our team who can work with our amazing clients who share our passions and values. The strategist can choose from our offices in East Lansing or downtown Grand Rapids.
What you need to succeed:
• Direct and clear verbal and written communications skills
• Strong organization skills
• The ability to juggle multiple clients, issues, campaigns and projects simultaneously to ensure deadlines are met and expectations are exceeded
• Strong attention to detail to ensure high-quality and error-free work is delivered to the client
• A nerdy appreciation for AP style
• The ability to build and foster relationships with media from around the state, particularly in Detroit and Grand Rapids
What you’re going to be doing:
• Develop and execute creative and effective campaigns
• Research, develop and write communication materials including press releases, media advisories, statements, guest columns, blog content, print pieces (brochures, direct mail, etc.), video and radio scripts, speeches and more
• Develop media lists and pitch press releases and advisories to local, statewide, national and trade media.
• Identify rapid response and earned media opportunities by monitoring relevant news, trends and policies
• Handle media relations for clients and serve as primary point-of-contact for media inquiries.
• Work with firm partners to provide crisis communications support for clients
• Organize and execute press conferences, speaker panels, community meetings and other events
• Help firm partners lead media trainings for clients and prepare key spokespeople for media interviews and reporter meetings
• Develop social media calendars and content
• Coordinate vendors, create budgets and keep track of invoices for projects
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, journalism, marketing, advertising, public relations or another related field. Don’t have one? It’s not a deal breaker. Just show us what you got.
• Five to 10 years of experience in public affairs, public relations, government, political campaigns or other communications work.
• Experience using Microsoft SharePoint, media tracking software like Meltwater or Cision, social media and e-newsletter platforms is a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
• This is a full-time position in Grand Rapids or East Lansing
• Salary commensurate with experience, plus bonus opportunities
• Access to employer-based health insurance and retirement plans
• Offices in downtown Grand Rapids and East Lansing
• Perks such as remote Fridays
Date Posted: 1/30/2020
Expiration Date: 2/29/2020