Assistant Director of Communications
Organization: Michigan State University :: International Studies and Programs
Job Description: The assistant director of communications will support International Studies and Programs and related units, programs, and initiatives in the development, implementation, and oversight of strategies that increase the visibility and reputation of international engagement and advance MSU's international programs and initiatives. This position will report to and support ISP's Director of Communications. The successful candidate will have excellent communications skills coupled with a passion for international education, strong time management skills, and work collaboratively in a fast-paced, complex environment. Major responsibilities to include: coordinating production of and writing content for brochures, annual reports, magazine articles, websites, and other materials; managing ISP social media; assisting with media inquiries and monitoring; collaborating with ISP staff and related units to develop annual communications plans; graphic design for print and digital communications; and other duties as required.
Minimum qualifications: Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in communications, marketing, public relations, or a related field; one year of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in writing and editing; experience in publication and print production; experience with social media and media project management; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Desired qualifications: Exceptional organizational skills; outstanding writing and editing skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team; experience in market research and strategic planning; experience in the production of major publications; strong graphic design skills; experience in multimedia, including video production; proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite.
Application Procedure: Visit jobs.msu.edu and search for posting 0526.
MSU is an equal opportunity employer.
Contact: Rachel Warner
Date Posted: 11/26/2014
Date Expired: 12/10/2014
Director of Content Strategy
Organization: Olivet College
Job Description: About Olivet College: Olivet is a private, four-year college located in south central Michigan. Home to nearly 1,150 students, the college is committed to providing a quality liberal arts experience combined with strong professional academic programs. We recognize that learning is more than delivering information and facts. At Olivet, students learn how to apply the knowledge they acquire to their career of choice. Our faculty, who also view themselves as mentors, are committed to personalized attention. Oftentimes this relationships-based learning environment builds lifelong connections, which provide a distinct advantage to our graduates.
Olivet College believes there’s value in a diverse campus environment. Creating, encouraging and pursuing opportunities to build inclusiveness within our community is key to our future success. Our students and employees encompass a strong mix of urban, rural and socioeconomic backgrounds. Also imperative to our learning environment is the commitment to our vision, Education for Individual and Social Responsibility. As part of this vision, students, faculty and staff adhere to the Olivet College Compact, a series of principles that define what it means to live and learn at Olivet College.
In 2012, Olivet College launched its current strategic plan, Charting the Course for 2020 and Beyond, which includes substantial growth and development in enrollment, the addition of new academic and co-curricular programs, new construction and major renovation projects, expanded program support and increasing fiscal health. In support of the plan’s implementation, the Director of Content Strategy will have opportunity for significant professional growth.
Description: Olivet College is seeking a motivated and innovative Content Strategist to create, share and measure content across multiple digital and traditional media. Candidates should possess a positive attitude, and be self-motivated while also capable of working collaboratively.
• Develop meaningful and measurable goals and track metrics to optimize effective communication across multiple platforms.
• Develop and execute strategy for content in alignment with college brand.
• Research, produce and edit compelling content for multiple platforms – web and feature stories, videos, photography, blogs, etc.
• Maximize content impact through multiple channels, including digital media, blogs, e-newsletters and traditional news and PR media.
• Assist in the development of and maintain/enforce style guidelines.
• Meet regularly with key students, faculty and staff to develop story ideas.
• Train individuals who have little knowledge of digital or traditional content development.
• Work in a diverse and inclusive environment.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s in communication, public relations, advertising, marketing or related field required.
• Two or more years of experience working in content strategy or related field required.
• A commitment to Olivet College’s brand and strong advocacy of its mission and values.
• Proven record of developing, measuring and tracking data.
• Strong understanding of best practices, trends and innovations in content strategy.
• Experience creating multi-media content.
• The ability to stay organized while managing multiple projects in a deadline-oriented environment.
• Knowledge of Google Analytics and Search Engine Optimization best practices.
• Knowledge of AP Style and Drupal CMS preferred.
• Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite desirable.
• Flexibility to adapt and respond appropriately to the demands of a fluid environment is essential in this role. This may include working outside of standard hours when necessary.
• Salary commensurate with education and experience.
• Comprehensive health and benefits package.
• Four weeks paid time off plus numerous paid holidays in conjunction with the college’s academic calendar.
• Professional development opportunities.
Application Procedure: To Apply:
Please submit a letter of application, resume, transcripts (copies acceptable at this initial phase) and names and contact information for three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Electronic submissions should be in PDF format.
To ensure “best consideration”, please apply before December 12, 2014. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Due to the College holiday closure schedule, candidate interviews will take place mid-January, 2015.
Olivet College is an equal opportunity employer and does take affirmative steps to employ women and minorities. Feel free to forward this announcement to others who may be interested.
Date Posted: 11/24/2014
Date Expired: 01/15/2015
Social Media and Public Relations Coordinator
Organization: Capital Area District Libraries
Job Description: Under the supervision of the Marketing and Communications Director, the Social Media & Public Relations Coordinator is responsible for the management and creation of online content, the development and implementation of social media strategies and assisting the Marketing and Communications Director in a wide variety of public relations and marketing projects.
Application Procedure: Please visit cadl.org for information.
Date Posted: 11/20/2014
Date Expired: 12/09/2014
Temporary Writing/Editing Assitant
Organization: Michigan Health Council
Job Description: This is a paid, temporary contractual position at a dynamic 501c3 non-profit that focuses on making great products and delivering services for Michigan’s health care employers, educators, and professionals. This position is 100% grant-funded and will end in early 2015.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Editing and organizing website content
• Writing new content for a health care audience
• Tagging content with appropriate descriptions
• Writing fact-sheets and how-to guides for online application
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
• Superior writing and editing skills are a must
• Excellent computer skills, with a strong knowledge of Drupal or other Content Management System
• Demonstrated ability to work independently with close attention to detail
• Strong writing and communications skills
Application Procedure: Send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Donald Wasserman, at Donald.email@example.com
Contact: Donald Wasserman firstname.lastname@example.org
Date Posted: 11/11/2014
Date Expired: 12/01/2014
Public Affairs Associate
Organization: Lambert, Edwards & Associates
Job Description: LE&A, a national PR corporate communications and investor relations firm and Michigan's only statewide firm with offices in Grand Rapids, Detroit and Lansing is searching for an Associate (entry-mid level) candidate for its' Public Affairs Practice Group. The position is located in Lansing. Ideal candidates will have a degree in English, PR, Journalism, Political Science or related fields and must be able to manage a diverse workload; thrive in a team environment, yet be able to work independently; display creativity; and have a willingness to pitch regional and national media. We also require a "whatever it takes" work ethic and have a strong aversion to mediocrity. One to five years of professional experience within public affairs and/or government related experience is a plus.
Additional requirements include:
-A team player and self-starter with a service-oriented attitude
-Solid verbal and written communication skills
-Understanding of the distinctions between PR, IR, advertising and marketing
-Basic understanding of public affairs, government relations, and the political landscape in Michigan
-Basic knowledge of the regional media environments
-Strong attention to detail with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
-Strong proficiency in online research, database management and media contact protocols
-Understanding of and experience with social media
-Solid understanding of media relations fundamentals- types of pres releases, media relations do's, pitching
-Ability to draft high-quality written materials, including media correspondence and press releases
-Ability to find the story, pitch the media and generate coverage
-Support client managers on projects and serve as a back-up on client contact
-Meet/exceed annual objectives set by the Manager, including billable hours, fee expectations, etc.
Application Procedure: Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter and writing samples to Kathy Barks Hoffman at email@example.com
Date Posted: 09/23/2014
Date Expired: 11/30/2014